Are you looking for the Best Security Plugins for WordPress to keep your website safe from cyber-attacks?
A security issue might harm your website’s authority in the eyes of Google and your readers. A powerful plugin will help protect your WordPress website against brute force assaults, malware, and spammers.
Let’s look at some of the best WordPress security plugins to keep your site safe.
Is a WordPress Security Plugin Required?
Yes! One of the most crucial features of any internet business is security. It makes no difference if you are a large company or a small business website, and hackers target everyone.
Each week, more than 18 million websites are attacked with malware.
While the WordPress core program is relatively safe, the plugins and themes you install might leave your website vulnerable.
If attacks on your website are successful, they can:
- Seriously harm your business
- Harm your brand reputation
- Impact your search engine rankings.
A security plugin will have some or all of these features:
- Protect your website against brute force attacks, which is when a hacker guesses your login details
- Keep personal website files securely
- Block spam from contact form plugins
- Notify you when a security threat is detected.
List Of The 5 Best Security Plugins for WordPress
Most useful security plugins are paid. However, a few plugins come with limited functionality for free.
We’ll go over the price, but it’s more crucial to understand what each plugin will perform for you. Finally, it’s all about choosing the best strategy to keep the cyber-attacks away from your website, and sometimes spending a little money is not a big deal instead of losing your brand reputation.
#1 – Sucuri Security
The Sucuri Security plugin is available in both free and premium editions. However, the free version should be enough for most websites. For example, the website firewall needs you to pay for a Sucuri subscription, but not every webmaster believes that level of security is necessary.
The plugin includes security activity audits in terms of free features, allowing you to observe how successfully the plugin protects your website.
All included file integrity monitoring, blocklist monitoring, security notifications, and security hardening. The premium subscriptions include additional customer care channels and more regular scans. For example, you could want a scan to be done every 12 hours, spending around $17 per month for it.
Sucuri Security has the following features that make it an excellent choice:
- It provides a variety of SSL certificate options. You must pay for these, although they are included in the bundles.
- Customer assistance is offered through online chat and email.
- When something goes wrong with your website, you get fast notifications.
- Some of the plans have advanced DDoS protection.
- Even if you don’t want to pay, you’ll get valuable tools for blocklist monitoring, malware scanning, file integrity monitoring, and security hardening.
#2 – iThemes Security
With over 30 offerings to prevent things like hackers and unwanted intruders, the iThemes Security plugin is one of the Best Security Plugins for WordPress to protect your website. It focuses heavily on detecting plugin susceptibilities, outdated software, and weak passwords.
Although the free version includes some basic security options, we strongly recommend subscribing to iThemes Security Pro at a reasonable $80 per year.
This includes ticketed assistance, plugin upgrades for a year, and support for two websites. If you want to secure more sites, you may upgrade to a more advanced package.
iThemes Security Pro’s key features include strong password enforcement, the locking out of cyberattacks, database backups, and two-factor authentication.
These are just a few WordPress security plugins that may help you protect your site. You may enable 30 security features, making iThemes Security Pro an excellent deal.
Features that make iThemes Security an excellent choice include:
- The security plugin includes file change detection, which is helpful because most webmasters are unaware when a file is tampered with.
- Use the Google reCAPTCHA integration to add an extra layer of security to your login.
- The plugin compares your WordPress core files to the most recent version of WordPress, assisting you in selecting whether anything risky is present in those files.
- When you’re not regularly updating your site and wish to shut off your WordPress dashboard from all users entirely, you can use “Away Mode.”
- Other necessary features include 404 error detection, brute force prevention, and strong password enforcement.
#3 – WP fail2ban
WP fail2ban has only one functionality, but it is critical: protection from brute force attacks. The plugin uses a different approach, which many people believe is more successful than some of the security suite plugins described above.
Using LOG AUTH, WP fail2ban logs all login attempts to the Syslog regardless of their type of success. You have the choice of implementing a soft or hard ban instead of the more standard technique of simply selecting one.
There isn’t much to know about configuring the WP fail2ban plugin. In reality, all you have to do is install it and then sit back and watch it work its magic.
Furthermore, the brute force security plugin is free, so you won’t have to pay any money. This plugin is very exceptional since customers frequently remark that it works wonderfully.
WP fail2ban has the following features that make it an excellent choice:
- You may choose between hard and soft blocks.
- Connect to CloudFlare and proxy servers.
- Comment logs are kept to avoid spam or harmful comments.
- The plugin also keeps track of spam, pingbacks, and user enumeration.
- You may also design a shortcode that prevents people from entering the login procedure before they even get a chance.
#4 – Jetpack
Most WordPress users are familiar with Jetpack, primarily due to its extensive feature set and because WordPress.com created the plugin. Jetpack includes plugins to improve your social media presence, site performance, and spam prevention, and Jetpack has so many features that it’s worth exploring.
Jetpack also includes certain security protections, making it an exciting plugin for people looking to save money while relying on a reliable solution.
For example, the Protect module is free and prevents suspicious activities, and Jetpack’s essential security capability also includes protection against brute force attacks and allows listing.
However, the paid versions of Jetpack are more robust in terms of security. The $99 per year subscription, for example, includes virus detection, periodic website backups, and restoration if something goes wrong. Furthermore, the $299 plan includes on-demand virus scans and real-time backups for maximum security.
Jetpack has the following features that make it an excellent choice:
- The free plan provides good protection for a small website; however, you can upgrade to the reasonably priced premium plans to receive full support and one of the best plugins on the market.
- Jetpack is responsible for all plugin updates.
- You will also receive downtime monitoring.
#5 – VaultPress
It is critical not to forget VaultPress, which functions similarly to plugins such as iThemes Security Pro and Sucuri Scanner. You must pay to have any form of protection, but plans begin at only $39 per year, making it one of the cheaper premium security plugins.
According to the website, this plan is intended for small businesses and bloggers, but you can upgrade to a more powerful plan for $99 or $299 each year.
The operation’s bread and butter are daily and real-time backups, with a lovely calendar display for selecting when you’d want to finish your backups.
Site restorations can also be completed with a single click of the mouse. Furthermore, the restoration files are registered in the dashboard, and multiple of them are saved, so you may select the one you want.
The best feature of VaultPress backups is that they are incremental, excellent performance.
The major security features detect suspicious behavior on your website and include tabs for checking your history and determining which threats have been dealt with or ignored. A simple interface allows you to view statistics and control your whole security detail.
VaultPress has the following features that make it an excellent choice:
- The price is lower than that of most other premium WordPress security plugins.
- The interface is clear and simple to use for all users.
- Using a calendar, you may do real-time or manual backups.
We hope this article helped you find the Best Security Plugins for WordPress for your website. You may also want to see our list of Best WordPress Plugins for your website.